The works of two photographers — more than 100 years apart — join together as one.
Photos by Edward Harris Stone and Andrew M. Daddio
Portraiture represents the bulk of work by Edward Harris Stone, the University’s photographer from 1902–1958. But Stone’s career also captured numerous iconic campus buildings as they were constructed, renovated, and sometimes demolished. In addition, he — and his camera — were present for historic events: soldiers training on Whitnall Field during both World Wars, the post-fire building boom in the village, the installation of electricity, and the rise of the railroad.
The Edward H. Stone Photograph Collection has resided in Special Collections and University Archives since 1959. The bulk of the collection is negatives (numbering approximately 20,000) — a portion of which are in the early photographic format of gelatin silver glass plates. To the naked eye, these plates appear translucent, but using today’s high-resolution scanners, they are transformed into strikingly clear positive images. So in 2017, the Special Collections and University Archives began preserving and digitizing the Stone Collection. As a result, the Case Library exhibition Glass, Silver, and Memory: Images of Community brings Stone’s photographs back to life.
Here, Andrew Daddio — the University photographer from 2008–2016 — puts a modern twist on some of the
— Emily Jeffres, digital history project manager
Team captains of the early 1900s alongside some of today’s captains (L to R): Chelsea Taylor ’19 (lacrosse), Will Rayman ’20 and Francisco Amiel ’19 (basketball), and Erica Silverman ’19 (swimming)
Left: A 1904 chemistry lab with Professor Roy Burnett Smith and students — including Everett Booker Jones, Class of 1905 (second from right), who later taught chemistry and biology at Florida A&M University and then became the head of the biology department at Lincoln University. Right: In spring 2019, Allessio “Jack” Giovannetti ’21 consults with Professor Patricia Kay Jue as he identifies an organic compound in the CHEM 264 (organic chemistry II) teaching laboratory.
Bird’s-eye view of Taylor Lake and Willow Path, circa 1915 and 2019. The current photo was taken with a drone at 200 feet.