Hillary Rodham Clinton delivers Global Leaders lecture

By Contributing Writer on May 20, 2013
Hillary Clinton

The Honorable Hillary Rodham Clinton, former secretary of state and U.S. senator from New York

Update: Click here for details on the speech.

The Honorable Hillary Rodham Clinton, Former Secretary of State and Former U.S. Senator from New York, will deliver the next lecture in the Kerschner Family Series Global Leaders at Colgate. She will address the university community on Friday, October 25, in Sanford Field House. For more information, visit colgate.edu/globalleaders.

Hillary Rodham Clinton served as the 67th U.S. Secretary of State from 2009 until 2013, after nearly four decades in public service. Her “smart power” approach to foreign policy repositioned American diplomacy and development for the 21st century. Clinton played a central role in restoring America’s standing in the world, reasserting the United States as a Pacific power, imposing crippling sanctions on Iran and North Korea, responding to the Arab Awakening and negotiating a ceasefire in the Middle East. Earlier, as First Lady and Senator from New York, she traveled to more than 80 countries as a champion of human rights, democracy, and opportunities for women and girls. Clinton also worked to provide health care to millions of children, create jobs and opportunity, and support first responders who risked their lives at Ground Zero. In her historic campaign for President, Clinton won 18 million votes.

The Global Leaders series, sponsored by Colgate’s Parents’ and Grandparents’ Fund, allows the university to invite thought-provoking leaders like Secretary Clinton to campus. Other lecture series speakers have included President Bill Clinton; Tony Blair, former prime minister of Great Britain; Felipe Calderón, former president of Mexico; and the Dalai Lama, spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhism.

Related Stories

• Dr. Susan Royal said:

I am thrilled that Hilary Clinton will be speaking at Colgate. She is a truly extraordinary person with strength, intelligence and character – an outstanding selection!

• Therese Palmer said:

What an honor to have Ms. Clinton speak at Colgate! She is one of our country’s greatest leaders, and I hope she will run for president. We’ll be coming from Texas and wouldn’t miss it. I know my family in the area would love to attend, too. How many tickets are we allowed?

• Dan Johnson said:

Benghazi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• edward calabrese said:

Your selection of Mrs. Clinton is a very good one. However, it is not necessary or necessarily proper to render your historical judgment on whether her policy actions were optimal for the US.

• Dave said:

I would suggest anyone who doesn’t want to go and see her, shouldn’t. I would also suggest that anyone with a mother, wife, or daughter(s) should Google the phrase, “Hillary Clinton and women’s issues”. Then they might be more informed as to what she’s done for half of the constituents of this country and others around the world.

• Steve Solomon '76, MAT '78 said:

I wish I could be on campus in late October to attend the event. But I will try to see it via streaming assuming that the facility is in place.

And what a privilege this is for Colgate! Any university should be proud to host a former Secretary of State with her wealth of knowledge and experience.

Go ‘gate!

• Ron Christopher, PH.D said:

Great selection. What an honor for Colgate.
    Ron Christopher
    Class of 1956

• Ron Christopher, PH.D said:

Your selection of Hillary Clinton and your acknowledgement of her accomplishments clearly warrants her speaking at the great Colgate University. As a 1956 graduate of Colgate I applaud you.
    May she becomes the next President of our United States she will rise above those who can only think it her fault for not having enough security at the embassy after the republicans slashed the budget for the protection of our people serving there.
    God bless Hillary and the US of A..

• Nike Bolte said:

Can we get on an email list/wait list for notification of when tickets will be available for Hillary Clinton??

• Tim O'Keeffe said:

Hi,
      You can subscribe to our blog, where we will be posting the most up-to-date information as it becomes available. Just go to Subscribe on the right side of this page: news.colgate.edu You also can bookmark colgate.edu/globalleaders.

• Laura said:

How lucky you are, Hillary is the most extraordinary woman of all times. HILLARY 2016!!!

• Norm Platt said:

I’m preparing to visit Colgate for my 50th Reunion next year, and I’m appalled that the Administrators of my alma mater would invite Hillary Clinton to speak at an important event at Colgate in light of the fact that she has not been held accountable for her part in the Benghazi Terrorist Attack when our honorable U.S. Ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens was murdered along with 3 other great Americans.

There’s still an investigation taking place which involves Hillary, and the Colgate Alumni Community should not be promoting and offering a platform to someone who has not answered all the questions surrounding the lack of security for the Ambassador and others, the actual events during the attack, and the fallacious stories concocted to cover-up what was obviously an Islamic Radical Terrorist Attack. Just my personal opinion and I’m sure shared by many of my peers. We owe this to the parents of the slain Americans.