Colgate community mourns loss of two students

By Rebecca Downing on September 20, 2015

Colgate Memorial Chapel

The Colgate community is mourning tragic news that two students, Cathryn (Carey) Depuy ’19 and Ryan Adams ’19, both of Ridgefield, Conn., died Sunday afternoon in a plane crash in Morrisville, N.Y., after taking off from Hamilton Municipal Airport. No further details are available at this time.

For Colgate students affected by this difficult news, counseling center and chaplain’s office staff members will be available in Judd Chapel on the lower level of Memorial Chapel this evening. Monday, the counseling center will be open and available to Colgate students. As always, counseling is available to members of the faculty and staff through the Employee Assistance Program.

In light of this tragedy, some of Monday’s campus events will be postponed or cancelled. Please consult the campus calendar for updates.

A community vigil will be held at Colgate Memorial Chapel at 7:30 p.m. Monday evening.

• Eileen Donohue '86 said:

My heart aches horribly. There are no words for such a tragedy. We can only hope that the love of family, friends and the CU community can hold these grieving parents.

• Andrea Schacht Savoca said:

My deepest sympathy to both of the families as well as all friends and loved ones. Mary Lou was my freshman roommate and I have so many wonderful memories of that year. It is impossible to imagine a deeper pain. There are no words, but my thoughts and prayers are with you.

• Bart Hale '04 said:

It’s hard to find words for this tragic loss, especially when it comes at a time of such promise and potential for two inspiring Colgate students who had so much ahead of them. Sadly, it reminds me of the Oak Drive accident that took the life of my first-year classmates as well. While the pain is real and unbearable, I know the campus community will once again rise high to care for one another and be a source of strength for their families, friends and classmates. Our collective thoughts are in Hamilton and prayers continue for Ryan and Cathryn’s loved ones. They will forever remain a part of Colgate.

• Joseph Riesenman, '92 said:

At times like these we are all reminded of the fragility of life and that we all need to remember how precious indeed it is and how precious are children are. I have a 10 and a 7 year old and cannot imagine the grief and shock that these families must be facing. Peace and love to both families and to the extended Colgate family; better times will come but for now, remember their lives with love and let tears flow if they will…..

• Bev Rodiger, P'19 said:

We are deeply saddened by this tragic event. May Carey and Ryan’s families find some comfort in the knowledge that literally thousands of people– from Colgate, Ridgefield and far beyond– share their sorrow.
    The Rodiger family
    Wilton, CT

• Karl '90 and Anne Clauss said:

The Clausses will be keeping Ryan, Carey and their families in our thoughts and prayers. We mourn their loss with the entire Colgate community.

• Joe McGrath '85 said:

On behalf of Colgate’s 32,000 alumni, we extend our deepest sympathy and condolences to the families, friends and classmates of Cathryn Depuy and Ryan Adams. That two young people at the very beginning of their college careers should lose their lives in such a tragic accident is unfathomable. The entire Colgate community and its alumni mourn their loss and pray that their families find the strength to endure and carry on. Carey and Ryan will be missed and shall not be forgotten.
    Joseph P. McGrath, Jr. ‘85
    President
    Colgate Alumni Corporation

• Torgunn Aas Reggestad said:

Our deepest condolences to the Depuy and Adams families and the entire Colgate community. May you all have strength in the coming days and weeks to come.
    The Brekke/Reggestad Family,Thailand/Norway

• J.J. Shaughnessy said:

Big group hug from the class of ’82 to Mary Lou Hanney ’82, (mother of Ryan) and her family.

• Rutah Family said:

Our deepest and sincere condolences to the families of Depuy and Adams and the Colgate Community. Keeping them in our thoughts and prayers.

• Elizabeth and James Sampson said:

Our deepest sympathies go out to Carey and Ryan’s families, the Colgate community, the track team, and to the aviation community. My heart just breaks! Our prayers and thoughts are with all of you.

• Cheryl Field said:

May the families find comfort and refuge in the Lord during this difficult time.
    God’s Richest Blessings

• The Walter Family said:

We learned of this tragic event through the extended circle of friends Carey and Ryan made in their journey. Please take comfort that college students and parents from around the globe are grieving for the Depuy and Adams’s loss, and are holding our friends and children closer as we pray with you. May you find peace.
    Warmest Aloha to all family and friends.

• Ellen Schwartz said:

No words can console families with such a terrible loss. These two young people will be missed for all they were and all they were to become. Our thoughts and prayers are with them. The whole Colgate community and so many others mourn.

• Paul Cascio '83 P17 P19 said:

As an alum and parent of two current Colgate students my heart is saddened and I extend my deepest sympathies to the Depuy and Adams families. Although I did not know either Ryan or Cathryn, a piece of me was lost yesterday. Colgate is a special place and at times like this the fabric of the community is there to help support all those touched by this tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with all in need at this difficult time.

• Alison Fraser Heisler '89 said:

As a member of the Colgate community as well as a resident from neighboring Westport, CT, I send my deepest condolences to the families, friends and extended circles of the Adams’and Depuys.

• Mal O'Hara said:

As an alumnus and parent my heart goes out to the families of these two young people. My son was on the same floor as Ryan and is deeply sad. Tonight the whole Colgate community grieves.

• Linda Leu said:

My heart is breaking at the loss of these two young bright stars! I can’t even imagine the pain their families and friends must be feeling. My prayers are being lifted that you can find peace and comfort!

• David and Ingrid Hale said:

The Hale family extends its deepest sympathies to the Colgate community and especially to the Depuy, Adams and Hanney families.

• Rajen & Lila Tiroumalechetty said:

We, parents, are very much bereaved by the sudden, tragic and untimely demise of Cathryn “Carey” Depuy and Ryan Adams, Class 2019. We share the grief of the parents, friends, and entire Colgate family, and the Hamilton and Ridgefield communities. This great loss is indeed deeply regretted. We pray to the Lord for the souls of two very brilliant and talented youth. Please accept our deepest, most sincere condolences and heartfelt sympathies.
    From Republic of Mauritius

• Julie Olson 1991 said:

Thoughts and prayers are with these beautiful children, their families and the Colgate community.

• The Flores family said:

Our deepest condolences to Ryan and Carey’s families and their Colgate family. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you during this difficult time.

• Leonard and Martha Shuck said:

Our Deepest sympathy to these families. Keeping them in our hearts and prayers.

• Tim Seamans '02 said:

My deepest condolences to the Depuy and Adams families and the entire Colgate community. Wishing you strength for today and hope for tomorrow.

• Antoinette Michas said:

When my daughter, also a Freshman, called me last night to tell me of this tragic event, I cried. She had been with Cathryn on Saturday night at a party. I did not know Cathryn or Ryan but cannot believe that their young lives were cut so short. My deepest sympathies to both their families and my prayers that they have the strength to cope with their loss.

• Vikki Anderson Patacca '86, P'17 said:

My heart breaks for the loss of these two Colgate students. The Colgate community is one extended family – and collectively we all grieve, whether we knew Ryan and Carey or not. Please know that the entire alumni family shares our love and support during your time of need.

• Ricky Sachar ' 96 said:

My heart breaks for the families of these beautiful young students whose lives ended far too soon. Please accept my deepest condolences and sympathies.

• Christopher Drabin '86 said:

Our thoughts and prayers go out to both families. The Colgate community will always love your children.

• Tracey Donaldson said:

I am in tears as I read this. Prayers to the families and Colgate Community.

• Mary cassell said:

So sorry for all your families -my prayers!

• Nguyen Thanh Van said:

The deepest condolences to the families and CU from Jenny’ family.

• Christina Martabano '85, P'18 said:

My son and I met Ryan and his family at Home Depot two days before Ryan was heading up to Colgate. Ryan struck up a conversation with my son Brendan having noticed his Colgate shirt. Ryan was articulate, handsome and bright. You could just tell he was an all around good kid. His parents and his sister were so warm and friendly. Just a great family. Wouldn’t you know his mom is a Colgate grad. My son contacted Ryan that day and they spoke for over an hour back and forth about Colgate. My son reassured him he would love Colgate. Turned out they were in the same history class……Brendan called me tonight to tell me of the tragic news. I was completely sickened…it just wasn’t right… Such a devastating thing to hear about such a wonderful young man. My sincere condolences and thoughts go out to his family and friends and to the Depuy family. Their grief must be unimaginable…

• sachi parker murray said:

My deepest sympathies go to Ryan’s and Cathryn’s family and friends. Our hearts are broken.

• Tammy Hoag said:

So sorry to the families of the two students. Thoughts and prayers go out to them.

• Kim Berthiaume, P'19 said:

My heart goes out to the families of these bright young minds. My deepest, most sincere condolences to you and to the students at CU.